Johnny’s Story

I originally posted this on July 31, 2010 on my family blog website. It is so hard to read this knowing that I would fight for our other two sweet babies for 16 days and ultimately lose them as well. Some days it feels like just yesterday that I held our sweet Johnny in my arms, and other times it feels like a lifetime ago. 

At 8:39 am on July 20, 2010 our son Johnny Louis Smith was born at home. As I write this it still doesn’t seem real.
I woke up with some discomfort at 14 weeks 4 days along with our precious triplets. I called the doctor’s office and waited for a call back. I delivered Johnny at home about 30 minutes later. We were transported by ambulance to the hospital. I cannot describe the emotions I felt as I rode in the ambulance thinking I was losing all of my babies. In the ER due to a nurse’s confusion, I actually thought I lost two of them. Our Dr. met us there. He gently took care of me and the baby. He then did an ultrasound and found two heartbeats safe inside. After about an hour I was sent to an OB room to wait, not knowing if the others would be able to survive such a traumatic event. I was given lots of antibiotics and other medicine. Mike and I chose to hold our sweet little boy and spent about 30 minutes with him in my arms. So glad we chose to do that. He was perfect, yes at 14 and a half weeks…perfect. My first thought was that he had Josey’s feet.

We hadn’t really decided on any names but Johnny just seemed right. Louis was my grandfather’s name so Mike thought it would be the best middle name. Letting go of him was the hardest thing I’ve ever had to do. I know he is in Heaven and I know God had a bigger plan for our second born son.

I spent the next 48 hours worrying and waiting to see what would happen. The placenta did not deliver with Johnny and never did. We were unsure for almost a week as to whether the babies shared a placenta or had separate ones. The Dr. is fairly confident that they each have their own, which is the best case scenario. I had severe labor pains the second night and they sedated me to calm my body. I have never prayed as I did that night. Begging God to let me keep my babies. When I woke up, we still had two little miracles safe inside.

I ended up having a procedure the following Tuesday (a week later) and surgery on Wednesday the 28th to help keep the babies inside. We had two ultrasounds a day to check on the babies and so far they seem unaffected. Very high in the uterus and strong heartbeats. I was in the hospital a total of 10 days. I am very happy to be home but we have a long road ahead. I am on complete bedrest indefinitely. Only able to get up to use the restroom and go to Dr. appointments.

We go on Aug. 9th to see how things are going. I pray for the strength to mentally and physically come through this for my babies. My heart is broken, but I must be strong. I have good moments and bad, but I know God will guide me through this. We love you baby Johnny, and you will be loved and missed forever.

Follow me on social media:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *